Pages

Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Snow magic

Snow! Snow! Snow! The lovely White stuff is still everywhere. I woke up to such dazzling brilliance a couple of nights ago that for a while I actually forgot that it wasn't strictly speaking "morning" (2AM for godssake!) and baby momentarily forgot why he was up and so grumpy. Everything was white and serene and beautiful and bright, right in the middle of the night.

I love snow. I have always loved snow. It's like a blessing, a benediction that transforms even the dreariest and most desperate of landscapes into something magical and splendid. Much like memory, like remembering, like nostalgia.

For a while there at 2 AM with a sleepy, dazzled, quiet baby in my arms, I forgot where I was, what time it was and what place. For a while there, I was 12 again, looking out at the snow from my little window.

Middle of the winter. In Srinagar. And as far as my sleepy, dazzled eyes can see, the earth is covered in magic.

1 comment: